HNC Medicare Insurance Direct
Medicare is health insurance for Americans 65+ years of age, or those with certain disabilities. Our Medicare Resource Center. offers Medicare Advantage Plans, Medigap and more.
Medicare supplement insurance (Medigap)
Medicare Medicare Supplement Plans, also known as Medigap plans, cover many of your Medicare Part A and B out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles and coinsurance. Whether you prefer higher premiums or lower out-of-pocket costs, there’s a Medigap plan that could be right for you.
Medicare Enrollment Periods
Medicare offers three specific times in which those eligible may enroll.
Understanding these enrollment periods is a key factor.
Below you will find a list of important dates to keep in mind when shopping for a Medicare plan. The official enrollment period for current members only happens once a year, so make sure you don’t miss out!
- October 1: Medicare Beneficiaries receive information about Medicare Advantage (MA) and Prescription Drug plans.
- October 15 – December 7: Open Enrollment for Medicare Advantage health plans and Part D plans with a January 1 effective date. During this time, beneficiaries can enroll, switch or disenroll from a Medicare Advantage Plan. Coverage will begin on January 1, as long as the health plan receives your request by December 7.
- January 1 – February 14: During this time, Medicare Advantage beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan can switch to Original Medicare or select a standalone Prescription Drug Plan. If you switch to Original Medicare during this period, you will also have until February 14 to join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to add drug coverage. Medical and/or drug coverage will begin the first day of the month after the health plan receives your enrollment request. During this period, you cannot:
- Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another.
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another.
- Enroll, switch or disenroll from a Medicare Medical Savings Account Plan.
Special Enrollment Periods
In most cases, you must stay enrolled for the calendar year starting the date your coverage begins. However, under certain circumstances, other enrollment periods may be available anytime during the year. You may be able to enroll, switch or disenroll from a Medicare Advantage Plan during a Special Enrollment Period.